Leading for Change is a nine-month experience designed to equip pastors and other leaders of congregations for the difficult and intentional process of discerning and implementing the transitions required for ministry and mission in new circumstances. Through an intensive assessment of their leadership patterns and an introduction to the principles of Adaptive Leadership, participants will learn to lead lasting and transforming change.
• To increase the effectiveness of clergy and other leaders in congregations facing the need to change
• To increase each participant’s awareness of his/her leadership patterns, competencies and habits of thought
• To increase each participant’s ability to discern the leadership needs of her/his organizational context
• To learn and apply concepts of Adaptive Leadership to the congregation’s system
• To develop an integrated coaching plan specific to the leader’s church context based upon the concepts of Adaptive Leadership
1.Individual: participants will complete the Leadership Circle Profile*, a comprehensive assessment of leadership capacity. The “360” instrument provides participants with:
• a personalized summary of competencies and behaviors
• a comparison of self-reported results with feedback from supervisors, colleagues and co-workers
• the opportunity to engage the assumptions underlying their patterns of action.
2.Organizational: participants and other leaders from their congregations or organization will complete the Leadership Culture Survey*, an assessment which:
• delivers a powerful description of a congregation’s leadership culture
• reveals how assessors view the current leadership culture and compares that reality to the optimal culture they desire
• reveals key opportunities for leadership development
• measures how a congregation’s leadership culture compares to that of other organizations
*The Leadership Circle Profile and Culture Survey were developed and are owned by The Leadership Circle™.
2-day assessment processing as a group
• Day 1: Leadership Circle Profile introduction
• Day 2: Leadership Culture Survey interpretation
2-days integrating learning and implementation
• Day 3: Leadership Excellence and Introduction to Principles of Adaptive Leadership
• Day 4: Developing Action and Coaching Plans for integrating learning with implementation
(Optional 1 or 2-day session at end of nine months for review, planning for the future, closure.)
Two-hour webinars based on The Practice of Adaptive Leadership by Heifetz, Grashow and Linsky
• Diagnose the System: identifying and engaging the congregation’s adaptive challenge through systems analysis, adaptive challenge definition, understanding the political landscape, and qualities of an adaptive organization.
• See Yourself as a System: deepening self-understanding of the individual leader as an agent of adaptive change (self as system, loyalties, tuning, bandwidth, roles and purposes).
• Mobilize the System: understand how to the mobilize the resources of the congregation to effect adaptive change (interpretations, interventions, political action, conflict, and building adaptive culture).
• Deploy Yourself: leading adaptive change through connection to purposes, courageous engagement, inspiration of others, creative experimentation, and thriving in an evolving system.
Coaching for Success:
• One group coaching session will follow each webinar to help to integrate the content with leadership practice.
• 4 Individual coaching sessions with the agenda determined by the participant.
Continuing Education Units:
Upon application, participants who fully complete the program will receive 5 Continuing Education Units from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary.
Sponsoring a Program
Leading for Change is a leadership formation program developed and provided as a collaborative initiative of:
|Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary||Samaritan Training and Resource Center|
|2121 Sheridan Rd.
Evanston, IL 60201
|1819 Bay Scott Circle, Suite 109
Naperville, IL 60540